I love going apple picking in Michigan in the fall. I also love pumpkin patches. So now that Eli is here I am even more excited about doing these things! Two weekends ago Milan and I decide to take Eli to the pumpkin patch. It’s only 5 miles away and not a big outing for the day or anything like that. We leave the house and it is 80 degrees outside. We arrive and it is so sunny and warm that it just feels wrong to me. My northern roots were screaming this is not fall weather!! It’s sort of like going to Florida at Christmas time. It just seems wrong. We ended up not picking any pumpkins because it felt fake to me. I took Eli’s picture. He is wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Who wears that to get pumpkins? We leave and decide we will wait a couple of weeks and try again. Hopefully it will be cooler outside by then.
Thinking I am clever I decide to look online for something to do in the North Georgia mountains. Surely it will be cooler and more fall like up there. I find a pumpkin patch and apple orchard for us to go to. I am thrilled. I mean so thrilled I am like a little kid. So the big day rolls around. I look outside and it is pouring rain. The high that day was 47 degrees. You’ve got to be kidding me! Guess what? We went anyway. We bundled ourselves up and drove 2 hours to get there. It drizzled the whole way there. Inside I was thinking why did we bother? On the outside I was smiling and optimistic. We arrive to the apple orchard first. There must have been 500 people jammed into the store/barn. You couldn’t move. Eli was not happy about this at all. So here we are trying to juggle a baby, buy apples stuff, stand in the long line to pay, and drink apple cider. Are we done yet?
Here are the pictures taken that day. I usual take 50 and this day I end up with 4.
Next stop…. the pumpkin patch. We drove all the way up here so we are still getting a pumpkin, right? Umm, no. Eli was sound asleep by the time we got there. But that really didn’t matter because the field and parking lot were swamps. It was way too muddy for a stroller. So like I said..
Be careful what you wish for. I wished for fall weather and I got it alright. Maybe I should have been a little more specific. Like, Dear Mother Nature, please make it a sunny 60 degree fall day. Thank you.
We are going back to the pumpkin patch by our house! We will end up with a pumpkin one way or another and won’t be coming from the bin at the grocery store! :)
Happy Fall Ya’ll!


2 comments:
This is too funny! And SOOO true. I am having trouble feling sorry for you however. I would LOVE a sunny 80 degree day!
I will call you soon so we can catch up.
Rosa
While I would love an 80 degree day about now, you and the family are always welcome to come to MI and pick apples, there are plenty of orchards near me and we go almost every year!
Looking forward to the day!
Love,
Uncle Mike
Post a Comment