Eli is only 6 weeks old and I can already say "Like father like son!"
From day 1, actually only hours after his birth, Eli has been the king of spitting up. We were told it is common for newborns to sit up amniotic fluid for the first couple of days and not to worry. Well after two weeks of spitting up constantly we saw the doctor. Again we were told spitting up is common. It's at this point when I start to wonder if I am already turning into a paranoid mother. I didn't want to ask about reflux because I didn't want to sound paranoid but I was thinking it! So our day goes something like this... Eli eats, Eli burps loudly, Eli eats more, Eli burps loudly, and then Eli falls asleep into a milk coma. Within minutes he is spitting up milk everywhere and it is flying out of his nose! Come on, you can't tell me this is normal. There have been days when I go through 10 burp cloths and 5 outfit changes. Again, I am worrying in my head but just telling myself it's Eli being a baby. Over the past two weeks my sweet baby has turned into the crankiest fussiest baby ever. He cries constantly and you can tell it's cries of pain. He pulls in his little legs and flings his arms out. He shivers and tears roll down his cheeks. Nothing soothes him except nursing. Finally after 3 days of no sleep we trek back to the doctor. I wear my strong Mama armour thinking I will stand up for my child. I will no longer accept the notion that this is what babies do.
On our way to the doctor I whispered to Eli that I need for him to act up while we are there. I didn't want to be the lady who calls the mechanic because her car isn't working only to get there and the car works just fine. The fine little man that he is acted right on cue. He screamed and he spit up everywhere. The doctor said nothing about this being normal. He basically took out his prescription pad and said your baby has reflux. Really? Duh. I could have told you that! I felt like I won the lottery! Off we soared to Target to fill the prescription.
Eli took his first dose of the meds and was acting like a totally different baby after his first meal. I swear this stuff is a miracle drug. Let's just hope that Eli grows out of this quickly and will go off the meds right away. If not, maybe we can get two for one prescriptions from the pharmacy since he and his father are taking the same medication!



4 comments:
I am so glad that you figured out what it was and sweet baby is keeping his yummy milk in his tummy! Get some rest mama!
Jen ALWAYS trust your instincts! No one will ever know your child better than you because no one spends as much time with him (though Milan is very close). Because of this YOU are the very best one to guage if something is "normal" for him, or not.
I would ask about that discount, it never hurts to ask, right? LOL
Rosa
Love the new blog!! He is too cute, we are dying to meet him and spend time with you guys! I'm so happy you figured out what was wrong with him, reflux is so common in newborns. Glad he's a happy baby now and I'm sure you're getting more sleep:) See you guys soon!
A smart Mom always sticks to her guns when she knows something is wrong. Way to go, I am so happy that Eli is on the mend. I hope once the days and nights get corrected, you can relax and enjoy your bundle!
Uncle Mike
Post a Comment