Today is day 4 of the No More Twizzlers Detox Program that I have created for myself. Actually, I should be calling it the no candy at all detox program instead since all candy has been eliminated from the Hayden household. There is no secret that my weakest point with food is with sweets. I could eat dessert and candy over a real meal any day. Now most people with this problem would call themselves Chocoaholics but in my case it's not at all about the chocolate. It is all about the little kid sugary candy like gummy bears, swedish fish, licorice, sour patch kids, etc. I have a mouth full of fillings from the many years of this addiction. I have decided that I am no longer going to be in denial about my addiction. It is time to kick the habit!
Milan has been informed that there is to be no more candy brought into the house. Let me just say for the record that Milan's sweet tooth is just as bad as mine if not worse. So the look on his face when I told him that candy is the enemy and no longer welcome was that of a child being told the same thing. Since Milan does not feel he needs to be on the detox program he has agreed to buy candy secrectly and hide the stash from me.
I am writing about this today because I am so proud of myself. I have made it 4 days without any candy at all. I am not saying that there haven't been moments of intense weakness because I would be totally lying. For example, every time we go to the mall I make sure I have quarters with me so Milan and I can get candy out of the little machines. While in the mall yesterday I searched high and low for one of those machines but wouldn't you know that the mall we were in didn't have them! I took a deep breath and later held my urge to have Milan stop at a gas station. You have no idea how much trouble a candy addict can get into in a gas station candy aisle. Some how some way I made it through the day yesterday without any candy.
Ahh, which brings us to today. As we waited for a prescription to be filled at Target Milan has this bright idea to go down the candy aisle looking for chocolate Twizzlers. Chocolate Twizzlers are by far the best. In the back of my mind I am thinking I want to strangle him but I say nothing and go along to the aisle. Luckily there weren't any chocolate Twizzlers but none the less I still had to exercise some serious self control not to give in to my craving. Heck, it's been 4 days! Can't a girl have just one piece? I successfully left the aisle enpty handed. Milan of course had a bag of swedish fish with him but I just ignored it. By the time we left Target I had completely forgotten about the fish he bought. That was until we reached the car. The first thing Milan does is rip open the bag and let the warm air just fill up with the scent of sugary fish. Oh yum! I say nothing and stare out the window trying my best not to reach over and choke him. Finally when I couldn't help myself anymore I told him that eating those fish in front of me could be one of the meanest things he has ever done to me. His response, "oh just eat one it won't kill ya." I said, "you are suppose to be supporting me not encouraging me! Buying those fish and eating them in front of me is just rude!!" So he smiles at me and says I'll just put them in here and hide them. As if I am not going to remember he has candy hiding in his car!
Now ya'll can see why I am so proud of myself. It has been one hard weekend on my detox program. I did make some muffins last night as a way to curb this sweet tooth I have. :) It helped a little but in the back of my mind I am still craving the candy. I have no idea how I am going to travel this week without my stash in my carry on bag. We always have treats on the plane with us. Wish me luck!
Have you ever seen a drug on TV called Chantix? It's made for people who want to quit smoking. It blocks the craving for nicotine. I wonder if they make anything like that for people with my sugar addiction?
I go to the doctor again tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't show that I am living on sugar- well WAS living on sugar until now. :)
Bulk Post Disclaimer
12 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment