Part I- The happy couple holds hands as they walk into Babies R Us. Their world is filled with day dreams of baseballs and butterflies as they get closer to entering the world of parenthood. They can't wait to pick out all the sweet stuff that every baby needs. The mom is armed with saltines and Swedish fish to keep up her energy as they shop. The dad is armed with the "gun" ready to scan whatever he wants. Life is good in the land of Jen and Milan.
This beautiful story lasts for the first 2 aisles of Babies R Us.
Part II- My energy level slowly decreases as the first aisle we see is the breastfeeding aisle. Breast pads and breast ointment for sore parts I don't want to mention. Electric breast pumps vs. manual breast pumps. Bottles that contain BPA and bottles that claim they don't. Pacifiers designed by dentists and pacifiers made of silicone (is that even safe?). Video monitors that cost a fortune vs. ones that work the good ole' fashion way. Oh and how about the safety aisle to baby proof your house? They should just invent a bubble to buy and then your child can safely make it through their toddler years so you don't have to drill screws into cabinets and the wood trim on your staircases.
Part III- Strollers, car seats, and activity centers Oh My! I went to this department with confidence! I called my friends, my Kuma, and my sister-in-law for advice here. I am searching all around for the exact stroller and car seat I want and can't find it. I finally find someone to ask only to be told it had been recalled!! What! On to plan B.
Hum, I wonder if we would use a jogging stroller? It sure looks cool. I bet I could find a used one that some other ambitious mom registered for and never used.
Swings, exersaucers, bouncy chairs, walkers. My head is spinning. Why do we need all of these things? I quickly call up my Kuma Nicole and ask that very question. Her answer, you don't know what kind of baby you will have. Some like swings some don't so you get all of it and see what "it" likes best. You'll have the rest of it for your next baby. My next baby... let's get through this pregnancy first! :)
Part IV- Someone please take the "gun" from my husband! I am the kind of girl who will go to 10 stores before finally choosing what I want. Milan on the other hand sees something and buys it without a single thought. I'm looking at one thing trying to read about it and compare it and behind me I hear the beeping of the scanner on things I haven't even looked at! All the while I am thinking... do babies really need all of this stuff or do we just think they do?
Part V- Welcome to the land of plastic. Do you know that nothing is made here in the good old United States. I mean nothing. Well of course you could go online and shop for wooden toys that are boring in comparison to the ones made in China that go blinky blinky and sing 10 different melodies. This child is not even born yet and I am already contributing to it's exposure to toxic plastic. Everything in that store is made of plastic. Why do they use toxic chemicals in toys in the first place? Is China trying to slowly kill us over here because they know we are suckers for giving our kids every toy known to man if it keeps them quiet and happy?
I will end this story here. I could carry on with my opinions and dislike for the way things are but I will spare you until next time when I write about the world of poopy diapers. Until then, Milan and I are back to day dreaming about our little peach while knowing we have conquered Babies R Us. This is one lucky little baby who will be blessed with everything imaginable and for that we are grateful.
Bulk Post Disclaimer
12 years ago


3 comments:
Aunt Linda looked for cribs the same way you are, as many types and places as possible! I can't believe she finally found one in Blue Island IL! I do feel for you guys these days with the world of plastic, maybe you need to go to an Amish store!
Love you,
Uccle Mike
I know, it's scary with everything being Plastic but we don't have too many accessible options! Virtually nothing is made in the U.S. it's pathetic! Anyway, your little peach will be just fine, look how good you guys turned out! Glad to hear everything is good with both of you, we miss you. We love keeping up with your pregnancy, it's so fun! Take Care!
Beth, Chris, Chloe and Christopher
How overwhelming! I don't miss that feeling. In regards to car seats, Britax is a great brand. If you pull back the material on most car seats, you'll notice there is no cushion/padding underneath. Britax used to be the only brand that had extra padding underneath the material near and around the head.
Post a Comment