I have had every intention of sharing Nikola’s story on this blog but time just seems to get away from me everyday. Now that Nikola is 7 weeks old and I am figuring out how to multitask with two little ones I am going to attempt to blog again!
Welcome to the world Baby Nikola
Feb. 15, 2011 3:05am 7lbs. 4oz. 20in.
I have to admit that when Eli was born I was so exhausted that the “Love at First Sight!” thing just didn't happen immediately. I was so relieved it was all over that rest was all I could think about. Of course it wasn’t long before Eli was my whole world and I never felt love like that in my life! Immediate it or not it was the best feeling in the world.
I spent all of Nikola’s pregnancy wondering how you can possibly love another baby as much as your first. Every mother of two that I know reassured me it just happens but I couldn’t understand that until the moment I experienced it for myself.
I also spent all of Nikola’s pregnancy so preoccupied with Eli that I didn’t get to “live” it the way I did with Eli. Nikola must have “known” this happens with the 2nd baby because he did a great job making sure I didn’t forget about him. I was super sick the first 3 months, had a terrible back ache the second 3 months, and all he did was kick and move the last 3 months! I just hope that he won’t feel less important when he looks through pictures and realizes there are far less of his pregnancy than his brother’s!
With my due date being February 16th I really wondered if I’d I have a Valentine’s Day baby. When I felt my first contraction on Feb. 14th while driving to my doctor’s appointment I couldn’t help but laugh that I was in fact going to have a Valentine’s Day baby. Nikola took his time and waited until the 15th so apparently he had a mind of his own and wanted a day all to himself!
When I blogged about Eli’s birth it took several detailed posts to tell the story. Luck will have it that this birth story is a short and sweet one. Around 10pm I started having consistent contractions. I called Alicia (my awesome doula) and we texted/talked for the next couple of hours. Milan was sound asleep and had no clue what was happening. Eventually I realized that I can’t deny the fact that I am in labor any longer and woke Milan up. Like last time I enjoyed the quiet of my house while in labor and wanted it to last as long as possible. Finally around 1:20am when I couldn’t talk through the contractions Milan dragged me out of the house and into the car. I’m pretty sure he and Alicia secretly worried I was either trying to have this baby at home or in the car since I waited until the contractions were 1 minute apart. What is typically a 40 minute drive only took us 30 minutes thanks to Milan’s speed. When I got to the hospital I was 10 centimeters and ready to push. That is exactly what I wanted and exactly why I waited at home as long as possible. Nikola was born 1 hr and 15 minutes after arriving to the hospital.
This labor and birth was just as hard as Eli’s but I had so much more energy from it happening so quickly that the whole thing just seemed easier. Because of that I can truly say I experienced Love at First Sight. I watched Nikola being born and there are simply no words to describe that feeling of awe. Nikola entered the world quietly and wide eyed. He looked right at me as if to say “Hi Mama I couldn’t wait to meet you so I moved things along quickly”.
Nikola is the calmest most content baby I could have ever asked for. He sleeps like an angel and is so sweet and cuddly when awake. If he cries it is only because he is hungry. I often find him awake in the middle of the night lying there quietly. There are times in the morning when I think he is taking his nap and when I check on him he is staring out the window enjoying the sun streaming in. I can’t help but call him my little sunshine. My favorite uncle’s nickname was Sunny and I often wonder if maybe Uncle sent this sunshine angel down to be with us.
So I am here to admit that yes you can in fact love another child as much as your first born. It just happens without any thought. Your heart expands and makes room for another little person. You can’t imagine your life without him and know that your family is complete with him in it.
Well maybe there’s room for just one more Baby Hayden……………..


No comments:
Post a Comment